2 1/4 cups dry macaroni
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I like the sharp variety)
1 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon dry tarragon
1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
3 cups 1 % milk (I use 2 %)
2 tomatoes, sliced into rounds fairly thinly
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of water according to directions (usually around 10 to 12 minutes). Drain when cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine: cheddar, onions, Parmesan cheese, flour, mustard, tarragon, salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk until hot, GRADUALLY add cheese mixture, whisking CONSTANTLY until thickened and bubbly.
- Combine the mixture and the cooked macaroni. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 11 x 7 inch (2 L) or an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Place tomatoes over top
- Sprinkle with some extra Parmesan cheese and cheddar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (or 190 degrees C) for 10 minutes
- Broil at low broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are nice and hot.
- Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy