Wednesday, February 4, 2009

nutrition break



I have been reading quite a few books lately on the politics of food. I have read Michael Pollan's books, Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food, Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon's The 100 Mile diet, Gina Mallet's Last Chance to Eat and just recently finished Mark Bittman's Food Matters. All very interesting books with some thought provoking opinions. The main theme that seems to run through most of these books is to eat a whole-foods diet based on grains, vegetables and fruits - with meat used more as a flavoring or eaten sparingly. I really like Mark Bittman's book the most - his food politics do not take away from the common sense advice, and he included a useful one-month food plan along with recipes. He has some excellent recipes using meat, poultry and fish for the dinner meals or gives a vegetarian option - I can tell you that 'vegetarian only' would not go over well with the Babe.

I have made a decision at the beginning of this year to try cook more from scratch and avoid most processed foods. One of my favorite food websites has to be 101 Cookbooks. It is only vegetarian but I love it as a resource for making things from scratch such as crackers, hummus, and salsa. Homemade salsa is so good, you know exactly what is in it and I urge you to try it - the link to the recipe is here. Nothing beats the February blues like a clean-up of one's diet. My motto is eat healthy 80 percent of the time and treat yourself the other 20 percent....my favorite treat is gummy bears!!